1. Rinse beans in cold water and discard any broken pieces.
2. In a large pot add your beans and cover with water. At least 2 inches above the beans.
3. Bring the pot of water with beans to a boil and boil for 2 minutes.
4. Once the two minutes are complete, cover beans with a lid immediately, remove from stove, and allow to sit for 1 hour uninterrupted.
5. After the 1 hour, drain the beans. Refill pot with water covering the beans completely.
6. Bring pot of beans to boil and then lower to a 1 or 2 on stove and allow to simmer for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. (Mix often and add 1/4 cup water at a time if necessary. You want to make sure it’s constantly at a soft, low simmer.)
7. Add the salt 30 minutes before beans are done and add the fresh cilantro. Mix well.
*you can add bacon to the beans, or onion, peppers, etc, all optional*
Mash or serve as is with eggs, tacos, enchiladas, carnitas, anything!
Try Bean And Cheese Tacos
Place corn tortillas on some foil, add a little bit of olive oil to each tortilla and rub it all over, turn over the tortillas and place your beans and cheese, fold over, and bake at 350. 10 minutes on each side.
Had one of those nights where I really just needed to use what I had. Threw all of this together and it was so flavorful and delicious!
When it comes to the ingredients you can always had less or more. You want more Parmesan cheese, add more! More garlic? Garlic it up! This is just the gist! Get creative and have fun!
What You Need:
1 family size bag of spinach and cheese tortelloni (20 oz found in the frozen food aisle)
2 heads of broccoli chopped and broken into smaller pieces
A handful of salami cut into strips (snack size work just fine)
1 tomato diced or a handful of cherry tomatoes (whatever you have)
Jarred minced garlic (3-4 tablespoons)
Parmesan cheese (1/4 to 1/2 cup)
Salt, pepper, chili flakes, fresh rosemary (fresh is best)
1-2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
1. Place chopped broccoli on a pan sheet with foil. Drizzle about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt, pepper, and crushed red chili flakes. Add 2 tablespoons of garlic. Mix well until all combined. Add more olive oil if necessary. Bake at 400 for 15 mins.
2. Cook the tortelloni as directed.
3. Once the broccoli is done, add the salami strips and tomatoes and cook for an additional 5 mins. Just so it’s warm and a little soft.
4. Place the tortelloni in a large bowl and add the butter. Once melted add the roasted broccoli mixture. Next add Parmesan cheese, fresh rosemary, and drizzle some more olive oil. (I also added just a bit of sea salt.)
Enjoy with a glass of red wine! Some crusty bread with butter would be so good with this too!